Saturday 10 October 2015

The Monkalong, Part Two: "though all are not able to write books, all conceive themselves able to judge them."

Heyyyyy, did I miss the party?
Literally what our parties would look like if you added laptops

My deepest apologies for the late readalong post, I had an issue where, immediately after reading last weeks chapters I REALLY wanted to read the next but thought it was too early, and then found I didn't have time to read them to actually make the post happen on Thursday so... The moral of the story is, read when you bloody feel like it, I guess.

NOW. It may just have been me, but this week's chapters made me want to die a little bit. I mean... Don Raymond, Marquis De Las Cisternas. You may have managed to seduce Agnes, but did the woman ever hear you tell a story? Because, damn. "Hi, I'm Ray and I'm going to tell you how I seduced Agnes but FIRST let me tell you FOR A WHOLE CHAPTER how I came to meet her by telling you this whole other story and" oh my god dude, literally no one cares. Like, no one. At all.
I mean, ok I get it. I do. Matthew Lewis is doing his whole sensational thing, and what's more sensational than a murdery robbery plot? (that's what was going on there, right?) Nothing like a massive narrative deviation to make you not give a shit about a book, that's what I say! But anyway. We got back to Agnes and Ray and I'm starting to think that Lewis had this whole life issue where older women were kiiiiind of into him
Maggie Smith MUST be into him, she's only human

Not only does he have Leonella ready to give up her old lady virginity for... that guy (honestly, I'm paying a lot of attention to this!), he also has Agnes's aunt ready to jump Ray's bones because of the super genius plan of his to pay her loads of attention because he wants to marry her niece. Of course, Donna Rodolpha is clearly insane, and it's this emotional women's shit (how much emotional women's shit IS there in this book, exactly?!) that finishes her off: "Five months had already elapsed since, in an excess of passion, she broke a blood vessel and expired in the course of a few hours."

SHE GOT SO UPSET SHE BROKE A BLOOD VESSEL, is that even a real thing?! Like, come on dude! 

Anyway. Agnes is reportedly dead, and I'm all like, 'well, IS she though?' but my scepticism is kind of broken by the fact that surely, SURELY a nun can't ignore a direct order from the pope. There are probably all kinds of things being revealed in the poems but I obviously can't read them because why the hell should I, and oh my god can we please just get back to the Monk and his descent into sin please? Thank you, Matthew. Cheers. 

4 comments:

  1. Psh, what I CARE ABOUT THIS STORY. If we didn't get it, we'd never get to hear about Marguerite. This probably all helps that I don't super care about Ambrosio or Antonia.

    Also I'm pretty sure NO ONE read those poems because seriously Lewis? I will follow you on your Raymond narrative, but poems, no chance

    ReplyDelete
  2. "surely, SURELY a nun can't ignore a direct order from the pope"

    But she is a BAD AND MEAN nun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SHE GOT SO UPSET SHE BROKE A BLOOD VESSEL, is that even a real thing?!

    What a way to get rid of her! Lewis is all, "Women. Amirite?" And I just can't with this guy. I think older ladies were just being nice and polite to him and he took it as "Oh yeah, she wants me." Such a dude-bro.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EVERYONE noticed how weird Lewis is about older ladies, and I did not notice. But your use of Maggie Smith to illustrate this point was ON point, and now I'll never not notice it again.

    ReplyDelete