Friday 1 June 2012

Devouring Books: Fun Home by Alison Bechdel

You know when you want to review something but you kind of can't, and you just want to get it out of the way so you can move on with your life? This is what this is.

But first, a quick note on Fun Home- I read it twice in like a week (partially because I did have to pay 50p to reserve it at the library, but also because, well, to properly get graphic novels, I feel like you need to read them more than once, because, you know, hidden picture clues!) which clearly means it's awesome, and also, if you want a memoir that's also a comic book that's also a way of coming to terms with the author's closeted father's probable suicide, then you should definitely read this. And if you also want to read a coming of age memoir about one lady's experience of discovering she's a lesbian, then you should also probably read this. I apparently only want to read lesbian memoirs at the moment (I'm currently reading Why Be Happy When You Can Be Normal? by Jeanette Winterson) so this was clearly perfect for me.

So, now, let's deviate from the main point of Fun Home for a little bit, and let's talk about books. I know, I bet you thought we were doing that already, huh? Well this shit's about to get meta. So in Fun Home, Bechdel talks a lot about books that have a connection to hers and her father's lives, her father having been a High School English teacher and her being, well, a reader and stuff, plus she's written (and drawn) a book. So she talks about quite a lot of books in passing, and about how when she was in high school she was in her dad's class, and it was one of the only ways she could connect to him, AND about how she basically learnt about being a lesbian from basically alllll the books in the library. Fun Home is really a book filled with loads of other books, and, well, I really like that kind of thing.

There are two books that Bechdel really talks about in detail in Fun Home; Remembrance of Things Past by Proust, which her father started reading not long before he died (apparently as evidence of some kind of mid-life crisis since, apparently, middle-age is when you accept that you'll never read that book), and Ulysses by James Joyce, which appropriately involves a lot of talk and subtext about fathers and stuff. And here's the thing about her talking about these books- it made me really really really want to read them. Do you ever get that? Like when you're reading a book and it talks about these other books really appealingly, and you think, I really want to read that now? That's literally the only way I used to read actual good books- I remember vividly that there was this one Sweet Valley Twins book where Lila did a book report on The Great Gatsby, and literally, it made me read The Great Gatsby! So it's good to know that I still do this, even when the books mentioned are built up in my brain as the hardest EVER.

Because really. Remembrance of Things Past seems like the longest and most difficult thing ever, but reading Bechdel's descriptions and analyses of it (in relation to her own experiences, which makes it even more appealing because WHAT IF PROUST CONTAINS THE MYSTERIES OF MY LIFE?) just make it sound interesting and challenging but totally worth it. And also, you don't even know how terrified I am of Ulysses, but everything Bechdel says about it (which, again, is of course related to her dad, but still) just makes me stroke my imaginary beard and just think 'hmmm, interesting' rather than OMG I AM SCARED OF JOYCE BECAUSE HE IS DIFFICULT. Which is good because I really hate thinking in capitals. It makes my brain hurt.

So, to sum up: books that I like make me think that other books that are mentioned in them are a good idea to read. And that's probably true- I can never ever remember The Great Gatsby, but I know I enjoyed it, and you know what? Possibly it's more life enriching than that one Sweet Valley Twins book. BUT: I'm not saying that Remembrance of Things Past or Ulysses are necessarily going to be more life enriching than Fun Home was, and nor am I saying that all I got out of Fun Home was a book recommendation or two. It's really an excellent read, and if it leads me to more excellent reads, well then, good. But honestly, it's enough just by itself. Read it now.

14 comments:

  1. Oooo, I like books that have a lot of books in them! Although maybe I'll check this out later, I just started Maus and I think I can only handle one emotional graphic novel at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me tooooo (obvs!) I think... I mean, this was a lot less emotional for me than Maus, just because Holocaust, I cannot deal with you, but it's still a bit, like, choke-up-y so yeah, definitely a good idea to wait a little bit to read it after Maus. Also, YAY you're reading Maus!!!!! :)

      Delete
  2. "even when the books mentioned are built up in my brain as the hardest EVER." RIGHT? Omg I was like "But Alisoooooon, those are haard." But she makes them sound so interesting.

    I'm so glad you liked this. We agree on a book! Other than Maus! So...maybe we both like graphic memoirs. Or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. Literally nothing else in the WORLD has ever made me want to read Ulysses, but now I'm like 'hmm, Ulysses... interesting.' MENTAL!

      It's ridiculous that we agree on a book! Clearly graphic memoirs, of which there are approximately 4 (Persepolis and Are You My Mother too?) are our meeting place. It's good to know! (Although, actually, we do agree on both The Help and The Woman in White, so... maybe we're not so different...)

      Delete
  3. I started reading this but didn't end up finishing it. Your review makes me want to try it again. I absolutely love books about books and usually come away with a long list of things to read. But yeah, it depends on the person too. A book that really opens one person's eyes might not have the same effect on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, definitely! I mean, I definitely even think that this could have had an even bigger impact on me if I'd had a more difficult childhood/was a lesbian, so even though I liked this a lot, I'm sure there are people it would have a bigger impact on. I do still think it's worth finishing though, it's a pretty good read (although it's obviously your call if you're not enjoying it!)

      Delete
  4. I loved this book! I read it for class this past semester and now I really want to read Bechdel's latest one about her mother. Plus she draws so well!
    ~Sara
    sarastrauss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm literally just about to reserve 'Are You My Mother' from the library, and I have high hopes for it!

      Delete
    2. *cough*AreYouMyMothersucks*cough*

      Delete
  5. Want to read this, even though I fear I won't be able to get into a graphic novel. I try and my brain goes "you don't have to pay attention to pictures. Just skim through this"

    Also whenever I hear anything about Proust or Remembrance of Things Past I think of Steve Carrel's character in Little Miss Sunshine. I should probably learn something else about the guy/this book beyond that. (Not saying learn this by reading it. Just maybe ask Wikipedia for some bullet points)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, so... read Maus first? Because it's like heartbreaking and the pictures are super important and sad but also the writing is really good? I sort of can't remember the pictures in this one so much, so I would kind of say they're not necessarily as important as the writing, but... it's a graphic novel so they're pretty important.

      Well, that was fairly unhelpful, sorry about that!

      I tooootally think about Little Miss Sunshine whenever I think about Proust! God I love that film! I do want to read Remembrance of Things Past someday because it sounds like it's beautiful, but I have volume one (I believe there are 6?) and I'm like fuuuuuck, I can't even read that! Let alone 6 of that size! So, I guess, the jury's still out on the Proust thing... But I've got time, I'm only 23 ffs!

      Delete
  6. I completely remember that Sweet Valley Twins book! It didn't make me want to read The Great Gatsby, which is weird because I normally I HAVE TO READ books mentioned in books, but I think I just wanted to read more Jessica and Elizabeth...

    On the topic of lesbian memoir-y things, I bought Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit, like... the day before yesterday, so SNAP!

    I never, ever want to read James Joyce. I struggled enough with Faulkner.

    Also, I really want to read this now, so thanks for the review.

    *skips off to her wishlist*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, I love you for remembering that book! Did you have it in a 3-in-1 book thing because I know I definitely did- funtimes! Ah, Sweet Valley High...

      I like Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit! So, yay! Although technically it's only half memoir, but from what I'm reading in the actual memoir, it's baaasically completely accurate... Hope you like it anyway!

      Joyce=scary and hard. But Bechdel makes a good case for Ulysses, so... I don't know. Maybe one day. (Note: I read about 20 pages of Portrait of the Artist and had to stop for fear of DEATH, so... I still don't know. Some more.)

      Go! Frolic and read this! :)

      Delete
  7. This sounds excellent. Maybe someone will do a graphic novel version of Proust, with all the best lines included so we don't have to make our brains hurt with the real thing. I know that's a cop-out but...

    ReplyDelete