Monday 9 July 2012

Top Ten Tuesday

Well, who can resist a Top Ten Tuesday freebie? I know I can't. I'm using this as an opportunity to try and raise my own excitement levels about alllll the challenges I've committed to (totally willingly, I should add) and so I'm picking out the books I'm the most excited to read for the challenges. As an added thing that I just thought of, I'm also going to state which challenge the books belong to- the more challenges a book applies to, the more excited I am to read it, I guess (this is absolutely not true. Just so you know.)

Top Ten Challenge Books I'm Most Excited To Read


1. Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (Fuck the Patriarchy readathon)- I can't even tell you how excited I am to even have a Murakami book in a reading challenge, because honestly, reading his books is too exciting for me to even describe! So, not at all a challenge then, but still exciting (also, I feel like challenges shouldn't feel like a punishment. Just a thought.)

2. The Wind Through The Keyhole by Stephen King (Reading all the Stephen King thing)- What can I say? Another Dark Tower adventure that totally backtracks but still involves all the characters that I love? I'm kind of dying to read this book, and waiting, like, 33 (?) books for that to happen feels like an impossible task. And yet. I shall, because delayed gratification is awesome!

3. Middlemarch by George Eliot (The Classics Club)- Yeah, I've just been hearing many many good things about this at the moment, and my copy is SO PRETTY and I'm just really excited to read more Eliot (I've only read The Mill on the Floss so far, and it sounds like this is probably even better, so, exciting!)

4. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky (Back to the Classics/The Classics Club)- It feels kind of wrong to be excited by this, and yet I kind of really am, based only on the fact that I read Anna Karenina last year, and am now permanently like 'Russian Literature... yessssssss!' This is probably foolish, but still leads to Crime and Punishment excitement (also, I know I wrote about Crime and Punishment in my dissertation, although I can't remember in what context... so I should probably read it and see if I used it right or not!)

5. Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace (The Classics Club)- I'm not sure if I'm so much excited about this as much as I want to see if it's as pretentious as I think it might be. Only I hope it's not because if it's not then it kind of sounds like it could be life-changing. Hence the excitement in spite of the size of the freaking thing!

6. The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir (The Classics Club/Fuck the Patriarchy readathon)- I started reading this years ago at university, but if you've been you'll probably remember that downtime reading = very little, and downtime reading of non-fiction that's all feministy and shiz = basically non-existent. So yeah, I read like 50 pages, but had it out of the library SO long that I started to feel bad in case someone actually needed it and then I took it back. So, now I have my own copy, it really feels like it needs to be read!

7. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson (TBR Challenge)- Um... I've seen the movie and it was insane (mostly in a good way... I think...) and from what I can tell the book is really similar which could either be very good or very bad. We shall see. Either way, I'm kind of excited to find out.

8. The Private Lives of Pippa Lee by Rebecca Miller (Fuck the Patriarchy readathon)- I'm excited about this because it means that I'll finally be able to see the film, although I can't remember exactly what it was about the film that excited me... Hang on. *toddles over to Wikipedia* Ok, so I think that I thought there was a kind of United States of Tara/Sybil thing going on in this, but actually it seems like that's not the case. But it still sounds pretty good? We shall see.

9. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (Back to the Classics/The Classics Club)- Ok, so this is a re-read and I really shouldn't be as excited about it as I am, but I really am because Steinbeck! I do love him so! Also because I'm going to be hosting my first readalong (in October, put it in your diaries people!) and it's going to be my first book for that, and SO that's totally exciting too!

10. Bag of Bones by Stephen King (Reading all the Stephen King thing)- This is also a re-read, but I'm always excited about reading Bag of Bones because it's one of my favourite King novels. For no real reason, I guess, other than that I really like the way it feels to read. And also because it seems to be one people have never heard of, so I enjoy being like 'oh yeah, that's one of my favourites' and feeling all obscure Stephen King knowledgeable. Because that's what makes a person really really cool, you know?!

So. These may be the books I'm most excited by right now, but that's liable to change with the wind, and also the books I'm least excited about sometimes turn out to be the best (I'm looking at you, Vanity Fair). But still. These all sound like fun, so I should get to reading them!

14 comments:

  1. You are so early with this TTT. But anyway, yay for Grapes readalong, even if I have very boring memories of reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahem... yea, let's pretend that never happened! Oh GOD I hope you like Grapes this time... I love it SO much! And yet, I have no idea how to make it fun, because, well, it surely is a very very sad story!

      Delete
    2. Oh I'm sure we'll find something wildly inappropriate to make it fun.

      Delete
  2. Yay for Russian literature! I'm doing my own reading challenge called The Russians this year and I will actually be reading Crime and Punishment soon. Although I didn't plan it very well and it looks like it will be my beach book when I go on holiday, a rather unorthodox choice but oh well...
    I read The Private Lives of Pippa Lee last year and I liked it but I was completely unaware there was a movie adaptation *goes back under the pop culture rock*. Will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooer, Crime and Punishment does not at all sound like a good beach read! You might be surprised though (hopefully!) and it'll keep you constantly entertained in the sun!

      Delete
  3. My sister had told me I HAVE to read Anna Karenina and Crime and Punishment (both of which I owned by hadn't read). I loved Anna Karenina just like she'd said I would, so I am pretty excited about reading Crime and Punishment. Right now I am reading this little book called Fathers and Sons and officially love Russian Literature too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I'm going to definitely trust your sister then and tentatively look forward to Crime and Punishment. Seems like the right thing to do :)

      Delete
  4. I've read FEAR AND LOATHING and all I can say Laura is that it feels like a mind f***! LOL! I loved it though despite how crazy it was. What a trip (literally/figuratively). Hunter's writing style is so different from anything else I have read. I also read THE SECOND SEX for my undergraduate thesis and it was so interesting and frustrating at the same time, but valuable for my thesis :-) (I wrote about sexual awakenings in The Golden Compass/Paradise Lost).

    I also participated in this week's top ten: http://rachelwritesthings.blogspot.com/2012/07/top-ten-books-youd-like-to-see-made.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU WROTE ABOUT SEXUAL AWAKENINGS IN THE GOLDEN COMPASS?! That's such a cool topic! I still regret doing a philosophy instead of an English dissertation (I did like a joint degree thingy).

      Also I think I'm definitely going to have to be in the right moos to read Fear and Loathing, otherwise I think it might just piss me off! We'll see :)

      Delete
  5. Crime and Punishment is very engaging, and Middlemarch & Grapes of Wrath are wonderful. Awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I really want everyone to keep saying nice things about Crime and Punishment, because then I'll be less scared of it!

      Delete
  6. Wow. I think I'd never manage to read those books.. I'm bad with challenges. v_v So kudos!

    Patricia // My Post

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kafka on the Shore and Grapes of Wrath...sooooo good. And I love that you included Infinite Jest! Man. Good luck with that. That's one of those terrifying books I'm too scared to even start!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah! So many good ones on this list, almost all of which I too have yet to read! Woah, that was an awkward sentence. But I think you know what I mean.
    I think I'm going to need a challenge or read-along or something someday to help me read Infinite Jest. As much as I like DFW, I'm a little (ok, a lot) scared of that big ol' book.

    ReplyDelete