Sunday 23 November 2014

Sunday Sundries: Procrastinaaaaaation (Part Three)

Hi kids! Me again.
I am of course in the middle of writing an essay because that is what I do with my weekends now and also because I am a bad planner of things. Here's the deal: Each term (of which there are two) for each unit (of which there are also two) we have to do a seminar paper on whatever the topic is for that week. We chose these at the start of term, and the two I picked were in consecutive weeks. That'll be fine! I thought like the madwoman I am. I'll get ahead of myself and get them done really early and it won't be a problem that they're in consecutive weeks!
There are a few things I didn't realise. Like, Masters are actually really hard work and I don't even remember how to study anyway so basically all my spare time has been keeping on top of the next week's reading. Like, I have never gotten ahead of myself in my life. Like, I'm super lazy and wasted my whole reading week going shopping and eating and going to work, you know, shit like that. The point, anyway, is that I've learnt my lesson and next term will have these seminar papers spread very very far apart, because two weekends in a row where I don't have at least a little bit of a weekend? That is not working out so well for me. In that I now look like this:
Only with worse hair, and less happy. 
Anyway. I would say I'm on the home stretch now, which is kind of true only it's also worrying because I don't actually have an essay. That I have to read out loud. On Wednesday. I think the important thing to note is that I will have one, and it might not be very good, but still I will not be left mute in a room of very smart people. Which is totally a good thing.

So anyway. This is my life at the moment. I'm going round my Grandad's in a bit to celebrate my cousin's birthday, which was on Wednesday, and for a few hours I'm going to try and not think ESSAY ESSAY ESSAY. Because that's not healthy thinking, it has to be said. The weather here has been atrocious, so that's great for my mood, and also this Thursday coming would have been my nan's birthday- it's so weird that I don't have to think about getting her a card or anything, and I don't want to think about the fact that I don't have to think about it. I know for a fact that from now till Christmas I'm pretty much going to want to cry all the time, but I'm going to try not to do that because boo. But still. 

I've been pretty miserable in this post, huh? Rest assured that when I've had some rest and a not-essay writing weekend (Or, ok, Saturday, since I have to work next Sunday because I had a sick day this month which I couldn't really afford) I'll be a lot cheerier- or that is the hope. I hope you've all had fabulous weeks and months and everything, I'm just looking forward to a break!

6 comments:

  1. Okay, I feel I need to don some pom-poms and cheer you on. People never tell you a masters is hard, do they? Or maybe those who did one a couple of years ago have this whole rose-tinted thing going on and miss it so much (I have that), but then actually forget how much of a darn slog it is. YOU CAN DO IT! And I hope when you finally get a break that it is everything you've dreamed of :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god. I mean, I don't think I really asked anyone how hard a Masters was (def not before I applied, but my friend who did one, when I told her I was more tired than I had ever been in my life, said 'yep, sounds like a Masters.' THANKS FOR TELLING ME, BABE!) but I think I was imagining something like my old uni days where I basically dicked around and watched a lot of tv. Um. I don't even remember what TV is now! (This is clearly a lie. I watched some this morning. But still.) But working and being a student is very very very difficult and that is all I will say on the matter.

      Until I'm moaning again next week, obviously. THREE WEEKS TIL CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS (Where I have to write 10,000 words. KILL ME NOW.)

      Delete
  2. Oooh the best of intentions. I would have thought the same thing and then done exactly what you've done. Hooray procrastination

    Good luck with your writing and just think, get through this and then you can relax. For a minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean... I kind of just chose these weeks because I wanted to talk about As You Like It (cause it's awesome) and I thought it would be a good week for King Lear cause it's a NOVEL! I read those all the time! (or, you know, I DID in a past life...) but anyway. I have a shitty first draft of an essay going on! Go me!

      I have a constant loop in my head of 'you just have to get through Wednesday and you can rest... Just get through Wednesday... Just Wednesday...' It's pretty creepy, clearly, but it helps. I am having the biggest glass of wine on Wednesday night, I swear.

      Delete
  3. HA, that last GIF. I mean, don't look like that, but it's cracking me up.

    I always procrastinated my ass off in school too. I'm sure you'll get your essay written and I bet it won't suck, either. You're almost there! And then you can breathe for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha A+ gif usage on that last one! We're all rooting for you with our internet-pompoms... you got this!

    ReplyDelete