The Broke and the Bookish. I've posted a little later this week, because I actually went out into the world and did things with my lovely friend Frances, which was really quite exciting! But, I am back now to tell you very important things, like the top ten for this week, which just happens to be:
Top Ten Characters I Would Want As Family Members
1. Atticus Finch from To Kill A Mockingbird- Because, who wouldn't want him as their father? I literally can't think of a better fictional father to have, and while living up to him is basically impossible, I think it is something that every father should attempt to do!
2. Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice- She is so the greatest sister ever! She roams across fields to a house where she knows a man she hates is going to be just to check that her sister's cold isn't too bad. Her relationship with Jane is definitely my second favourite in the novel!
3. McMurphy from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest- I'm not really sure where I would want him in my family, but just to be around such a personality all the time would be so energising! Also, he seems to really really need a sensible family member around him to protect him from the evil Nurse Ratched.
4. Ben Hanscom from It- I can't really explain it, but I love him so so much- I would love him to be my son because he's just so adorable and lovely, and my very favourite character in my very favourite Stephen King novel. just lovely!
5. Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean- Come on. He's amazing (at least before he becomes actually insane from being dead and all). Would be wonderful to have around at christmas as your bonkers uncle, telling you amazing stories about piracy and drinking all the rum!
6. Beth from Little Women- I love all the sisters in Little Women (except Amy. Stupid Amy) but I really have always adored Beth. If you want to be cynical it's because she wouldn't demand any attention away from me, but I honestly just have a pure and honest love for Beth's quiet ways and sweet shyness, and I think she has a lot to offer, in her own way, and I would love her to be my sister!
7. Ma Joad from The Grapes of Wrath- I really wouldn't want to replace my mother, but Ma Joad would definitely be a good choice as a mother- she always manages to stay positive, and tries to keep the family together no matter what. If anyone could ever be described as a pillar of strength, it's Ma Joad.
8. Cassandra from I Capture the Castle- One of my favourite narrators ever, I'd love love love to have her as my sister- I'd also be a much better sister to her than stupid Rose. I think Cassandra and I are both just odd enough to get along.
9. Melanie Hamilton from Gone With The Wind- I LOVE Melanie so very much, and everyone who has ever called her a drip can just stop doing so now because she is absolutely incredible- completely wonderful, and strong in her own quiet way, she always knows exactly what to say and do to make everyone comfortable and happy. Just as she becomes Scarlett's sister by the end of the novel, I would love for her to be my sister also.
10. Sam from Benny and Joon- Sam is so adorable, and if you haven't seen Benny and Joon already then I would implore you to do so immediately! He is so wonderfully understanding and innocent, and I would love to be his slightly protecting but loving and understanding cousin, very unlike his own cousin in the film!
I would love to have this little extended family so much! Except, I'm obviously lying when I say that I would want the two Johnny Depp characters in my family, because, you know, then things that we might want to do would probably be illegal... Which characters would you like to have in your family?