Saturday 27 April 2013

READATHOOOOOOOOOOON!

So so so much later
I came back! Finally... Just to get my excuse in, I was round my nan's where there's no internet until about 4.30, and then when I came home the internet WASN'T WORKING, and then I got sidetracked by sewing and... now it's now. But I still came back, and dammit, I'm going to do the end of event thingummy. So there.

1) Which hour was most daunting for you?
Look, one day I'm really going to do this properly, but this time I got a full night's sleep, so all of the hours were fine. From past experience, though, about 5am (or hour... 17? I guess?) has been the time when I simply have to sleep.

2) Could you list a few high-interest books that could keep a reader engaged for next time?
Harry Potter is always good, and Eleanor and Park was AWESOME. I feel like all the books I read (all 3 of them!) were quite good readathon bookies.

3) Do you have any suggestions to improve the readathon next year?
Only ones for myself, like really try to do a full 24 hours and stuff. Otherwise... Nah, it's allll good.

4) What do you think worked really well in this years readathon?
Um, um, um, I feel like I was less pressurey on myself so reading felt more fun than forced. And um... I don't know, twitter was pretty awesome to be on.

5) How many books did you read?
Well, I finished 3. But realistically, I guess I read 1 and 2/3? Whatever, let's just say I read 3...

6) What were the names of the books you read?
You mean... what were the books called? Ok, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, Down Under and Eleanor and Park. I also read a teeeeny bit of Wild, but I can't really count that.

7) Which book did you enjoy most?
Ok, so I'm going to say Eleanor and Park? Two of the books made me cry, which is always good/bad. 

8) Which book did you enjoy least?
Don't be silly, I was reading a HARRY POTTER, a BILL BRYSON and also ELEANOR AND PARK. They were all awesome, obviously.

9) N/A

10) How likely are you to take part in the readathon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
I will basically always do this readathon, as long as I can. I'm pretty much always going to just be a regular participant, but I would definitely think about hosting a mini-challenge...

There! I'm done! It's alllll over for another 6 months. *Sighs* *Still feels happy*.

Hour...23?
Howdy guys! I haven't JUST woken up or anything (that would be silly, it's like 11am!) But I DID only wake up about an hour ago. I had a really nice sleep though, thanks for asking.

Let's see, this morning... Well, I had breakfast! And I have read, ooh, 7 pages of Wild? I'm really doing this morning-thing well. I do have clean hair now though, so there's that! Of course, I have to go out to lunch in FORTY FIVE MINUTES (am I even hungry? I am not. Who books a table at 12pm, I ask you?) so that leaves abouttt... half an hour to read, and 15 minutes to get dressed? 40 minutes to read and 5 minutes to get dressed? I'm sure these ratios are definitely right.

I will be back for the end of event survey, it'll just be later, as in after readathon later. SO have fun for the last hour and three quarters, my lovelieeeees!

Pages Read: 578
Books Finished: 3
Snacks: Well, just breakfast.
Naps: Sort of a 9 1/2 hour one? It was goooood (but I'm still tired. Probably all the brain work.)

Hour 12 3/4
Have finished Eleanor and Park. I have... Emotions I can't even tell you about, because I don't want to ruin anything. But, OMG.

So. I'm totally going to sleep now. Like, proper sleep that is proper. I can't keep up with you crazy kids anymore. BUT I suspect I will be back in the morning, trying to read Wild because it has to go back to the library next week, so. I will be back. Probably.

Pages Read: 571
Books Finished: 3
Snacks: NOPE. Far too late for that kind of thing!
Naps: Just... gimme a minute.

Oooh, wait a minute, there's a mid-event survey. Must do that!

1) How are you doing? Sleepy? Are your eyes tired?
My eyes actually really hurt, but I haven't exactly not read books that make me cry, so. I feel like I'd be less tired if I started at like 8am, but yeah. I'm tiiiired.

2) What have you finished reading?
Harry Potter 6, and Down Under, and Eleanor and Park. Jeez, haven't you been paying attention?

3) What is your favourite read so far?
I mean... Harry Potter is Harry Potter, you know? But Eleanor and Park was pretty special. (Ugh, my heart.)

4) What about your favourite snacks?
I had a lot more toblerone than anticipated because it was just so darn tasty!

5) Have you found any new blogs through the readathon? If so, give them some love!
Ok, no? BUT I have bookmarked some blogs that I want to go back to and explore a bit, which is almost the same thing? Ish? Whatevs, it's cool.

BEDTIME! See you in 8 or so hours!

Hour 11
Oh man. I barely even wanted to stop reading Eleanor and Park to update (but also I want it to last forever), but here I am! How is everyone doing?

Eleanor and Park. Well. This is a book. I have to say though, that everyone keeps saying that 'it's so CUTE!' which it IS, don't get me wrong, but also... it's kind of disturbing, no? In a kind of domestic abuse-ish sort of way? I'm not saying I don't absolutely LOVE it, but it surprises me that more people haven't said something about it! For me, it kind of makes everything that much sweeter... But anyway.

Pages Read: 474
Books Finished:
Snacks: I had a Cadbury's Creme Egg! But that's about it. I WOULD have some more diet coke, but I think I'm going to go to bed (well... To sleep. I'm totally in bed already) once I've finished E+P, so that seems like a BAD idea!
Naps: Still haven't had any! Apparently this is basically just going to be a normal day with the sleeping and whatnot. 

Hour 8
I haven't done thaaat much reading in the... time since I last updated, but since it's preeeetty much on the hour right now, I thought I'd update anyway. 

Because GUYS. Eleanor and Park. I mean, I haven't read enough of it yet to properly love love it (I'm mostly like 'Guys. Just TALK TO EACH OTHER, PLEASE') But but but but this: 'He had green eyes. And skin the colour of sunshine through honey.' SKIN THE COLOUR OF SUNSHINE THROUGH HONEY. That's just so fucking beautiful I could cry. Keep being awesome, book.

Pages read: 304
Books finished: 2
Snacks: Just had dinner. It was awesome- breakfast for dinner FTW
Naps: Still none! I'm as shocked as you are. I have just found out we're going out to lunch at 12pm tomorrow though, so... sleep and no last hour of reading for me!

Hour 5 1/3
I have finished another book. Life is good. 

That was Down Under by Bill Bryson, and now I want to 1) go to Australia SO BADLY, and 2) massively see Uluru. Like... It's not even a thing I've ever thought about before ever, really, but Bryson makes it sound like a lifetime-must-see thing, so see it I must! A petit break is in order now, I believe, before I start, FINALLY, Eleanor and Park (eeeeee!)

Pages read: 246
Books finished: 2
Snacks: About 3 triangles of toblerone and some veggie gummy sweets? I definitely need some more diet coke though, or I'm going to fall asleep
Naps: Still none, but see above re: sleepiness.
Weather conditions: It's just started bloody raining! Considering it's been hot and beautiful all week, and I THOUGHT I might get to read outside, this makes me sad.

Also I am DOING A CHALLENGE. The hour 5 challenge is a self-portrait, and here is mine:
Can't you just FEEL my E+P excitement?! (my hairstyle is necessary because I get very bad readathon bed hair. It's like an ILLNESS.)

Hour 3 1/4
So I just finished Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, and my heart is broken. I can't even... 

So I'm giving myself some internet time to recover, and then I'm going to read something super duper happy. Where no one dies. Bill Bryson might be the best person for the job, and also if chocolate helps against dementors, then it will help me in my situation too. Hopefully. *cries a bit* (GUYS, I've just realised that in the last readathon, I read The Casual Vacancy first and cried some there, too! WHY AM I SO STUPID?!)

Pages read: 147
Books finished: 1
Snacks: Actually, I had lunch. Hummus sandwich and some doritos. 
Naps: None as of yet. But I did nearly fall asleep just before starting. That was lame.

7-ish minutes to go!
The introductory meme is up, and I am ALL OVER THIS.

1. What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
Surrey, in the UK (not too far from London). Typically it's RAINING and it looks cold outside, so... I'm fine with the reading all day thing.

2. Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
Prooobably Eleanor and Park. But I'm also looking forward to FINISHING books. Because I totally haven't been, lately.

3. Which snack are you most looking forward to?
Toblerone. I just... have to not eat the whole thing. That would be bad.

4. Tell us a little something about yourself.
Uhhhhhm... I think I'm in love with both Neville Longbottom and Severus Snape? It's a little complicated...

5. If you participated in the last readathon, what's the last thing you'll do differently today?
Well, I'm reading books I'm in the middle of, which I haven't really done before, but ALSO I'm just going to go to bed when I'm tired. Cause I ended up sleeping for seven hours on the sofa last time, and WHAT WAS THE POINT OF THAT, when I could have just been in bed? Exactly.


Guys, guys, guys! It's like 2 and a half hours til the readathon! It's on days like this that I really hate living several time zones ahead of America, because I wake up at about 9, all excited to READ ALL DAY, but realistically I have to wait 4 hours to do so (I KNOW I could just start whenever. But where's the fun in that?) Having said that, if I had to start at 5am like California et al, it would probably kill me. So there are pluses and minuses everywhere.

Anyway! Normally I do a book pile post the day before the Readathon, but as I think we're all aware by now, Friday is Harry Potter Day, and who can be bothered to post more than once per day? Definitely not me. But, here is a glorious stack of books:
(The light is really bad for taking ipod pictures today. Just so you know.) From top to bottom, they are:
Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto
The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass by Stephen King
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
Down Under by Bill Bryson
Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
The Fault in our Stars by John Green
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by JK Rowling
Wild by Cheryl Strayed

I am literally excited by EVERY ONE of these books. Realistically, I want to finish Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (but also I don't, because YOU KNOW), Down Under, and Wild, because it feels like I've been reading them FOREVER and that is not a fun feeling. Other than that, I also really want to get to Eleanor and Park because it seems like it's going to be AMAZING, and while I'd like to read a bit of Les Miserables, I don't know that I will... But we shall see.

Basically I just want to read them ALLLL. And I'll give it my best shot. In about 2 hours (this has taken a surprisingly long time to write...) As for snacks, I did a bit of snack shopping yesterday but didn't really fancy anything (alarming, I know!) Most importantly, I have a BIG bottle of diet coke, and there are Doritos in the house. There's also plenty of fruit, and there is hummus, and I have a fairly big toblerone and also some Cadburys Creme Eggs. So I think I'm going to be ok, food wise. Now just to wait...

Note: I'm going to be updating this post throughout the day, so new things will appear at the top of the post every so often. Don't pretend this isn't exciting!

33 comments:

  1. Yayyy!!! That pile of books is so pretty and colorful! Love it :-)

    I should add HP to my list for today. I might end up reading it for a bit when I get home, if I need something quick and YA-ish. I almost wish that I hadn't read Eleanor & Park like 2 months ago, because it would've been awesome for today :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SARAH I AM ABOUT TO START ELEANOR AND PARK I AM SO EXCITED!! HP was sad times though. I'd save it for later when you're ok about being DESTROYED...

      Delete
    2. I am SO EXCITED FOR YOU. Cause you're gonna love it. The next picture will be you hugging E&P and never wanting to let it go. Or you know, not. But I bet you'll like it!

      Delete
    3. You know what? If I like it, Imma do that photo just for you! ;) I'm faaairly certain I'm going to LOVE it. Or at least I hope so. Maybe I should just READ IT ALREADY!

      Delete
    4. AWESOME.

      So yes, wasn't it so so wonderful? I think the reason people avoid saying too much about the bad/sad stuff in the book is to not give away spoilers. And quite honestly, because I want to think about the happy and sweet times and not that, cause it was too upsetting.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I love Les Miserables but I could never tackle it on a readathon because I'd get way too fidgetty. Hurrah for discovering another UK book blog though! *waves from Leeds*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm honest, I doubt if I'll even get to Les Miserables today! But we'll see. Also, HEY I KNOW YOU, YOU'RE THE BOOK JAR LADY! (Or are you..? Well, this could be a horrible mistake...)

      Delete
  3. You are going to love The Fault in Our Stars! It was a great read! I will be here cheering you on. Have a great readathon!
    Lisa
    Lisa's World of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I've read mixed things about it, so I'm excited to get my own thoughts on it!

      Delete
  4. Toblerooooooooone! Good lass. Eat it all. I would. *waves Mini Egg Easter Egg around extravagantly to demonstrate the point* Also... wow, that is one ginormous pile of books you've got there. I did read this right, didn't I - it's a 24-hour readathon, not a 24-week one? ;)

    Good luck honeybun, I'll be stalking you like a slightly fuzzy panther for the next 24 hours! NO CHANGE THERE THEN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I CAN eat all the toblerone, Ellie! Actually, that's a lie- I definitely CAN, but do I want to? Well, sort of, yeah. WE'LL SEE! To be fair, most of that stack is taken up by 1) Harry Potter, which I'd basically finished, and 2) Les Miserables, which I'm blatantly not going to read. Basically what I'm saying is shhhhhhhh! Let me have my book pipe-dreams.

      STALK ME FOREVER ELLIEEEEEEE!

      Delete
  5. READATHOOOOOOOON!!

    Yeah, poor Megs and her 5 AM time. And I complained about 7 (which I then didn't wake up for).

    YAY FINISHING PARTIALLY-FINISHED BOOKS, MADAM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Megs indeed. But if she WILL insist on living in near constant sunshine then I don't know what we can do with her!

      ALICE I HAVE FINISHED TWO BOOKS WHAT IS EVEN HAPPENING RIGHT NOW?!

      Delete
    2. THAT IS SO MANY BOOKS

      Also Eleanor & PARK! Ah, that book. It made me check out a lot of music.

      Delete
    3. I am already DYING (in the good way) because THE SMITHS! Yes please.

      Delete
  6. I didn't realize that Bryson's book about Australia had a different title in the UK. And since I've read it about a bazillion times, I know precisely why it is tthat the ice cream cone is on the cover.

    I'm putting off the ending of HBP. I'm also watching the HP movies as we go along, but I got behind and just watched OotP yesterday afternoon and I was in NO SHAPE to be around other people.

    I believe I'm one of those people who deeply understands the complications of loving two men like Neville and Severus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise it had a different title in the US! *googles* Oh, it's all different! I like the UK cover a lot, mainly because it has a map with SOME of the places he goes to on it, so I kept checking it for reference.

      Ohhhhh lordy. I know how you felt though. I'm a bit chirpier now because, you know, Bill Bryson does that to me, but STILL. I can't.

      I'm glad there is someone else out there, Emily. Because it is so CONFLICTY. But I guess if I had to choose one of them for forever, it would be Neville because I wouldn't constantly have to apologise to other people for him doing ASSHOLE things. DAMN YOU SNAPE WHY DO I LOVE YOU SO MUCH?!

      Delete
  7. You are the fastest reader! Go Laura -- read ALL the books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm... Well. Kind of. When I don't take a whole giant break to watch Dr Who and also eat food and stuff!

      Delete
  8. WOW you're doin' gooood. Also, YAY BRYSON. Also, awesome picture... *mwah*... ALSO, crying this early in a read-a-thon is Not Good. It makes for tired eyes and headaches. So... y'know... stop it. *is very proud of soothing and comforting demeanour throughout this paragraph*

    KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! I've read 16 pages so far, but I've been at work and the customers have been, y'know, PRESENT, so now I'm home it's time to get stuck in properly, yaaay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just kissed my picture on the screen, didn't you? I love you. My eyes actually do really hurt! But I think I'm just tired. And also emotionally drained. Oh man.

      Hey, 16 pages is... 16 pages! Lol, but yes. Home will make you read, for definites. (DAMN THOSE DAMN CUSTOMERS!)

      Delete
    2. Skin the colour of sunshine through honey... MAAAAN I love it when I read one of those tiny moments and think "Well shit. I wish I wrote that."

      Actually I DIDN'T kiss the picture but... wait... Yup, there we go. I totally did. BECAUSE YOU ARE MY WIFE AND THAT IS HOW WE ROLL. Wow, I do talk a lot when I'm getting tired don't I? *hums idly* I've actually read ALMOST 30 PAGES now, so that's good. Considering it's nearly 10 o'clock. Shit. Ooookay bedtime soon. I'm sure I'll read more tomorrow morning, when I have a choc chip muffin and coffee and actual sleep behind me. *wanders away dreamily*

      Delete
  9. It's been a few hours so I thought that I would stop in and see how you are doing! Looks like it is going well! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I finished E and P this morning, and SOOOO CUTE! I loved it. I maybe should have saved it for later in the afternoon, since my stack just seems to be getting more and more serious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you're really getting into the spirit of the Readathon, finding good books! You'll have to let me know if that Bryson book is good...I've read most of his by now, but not that one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice list of books, and great progress! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eleanor & Park is kind of domestic abuse-ish whaaa? I'm glad you're liking it though. Might grab that one after Caitlin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you, listening to your body and getting some real sleep. You rocked it out so far! Hope to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhh Eleanor & Park :) I love that book with my whole heart!

    Everywhere we go
    People want to know
    Who we are
    So we tell them
    We are the readers!
    The mighty, mighty readers!

    I hope you’re having a fantastic Read-a-Thon!
    Jennifer ~ Team Panda
    The Relentless Reader

    ReplyDelete
  16. MORNING SUNSHINE! (through honey...) Hope your weepy-tired eyes are refreshed and that you're back in the land of the living again. IF NOT WAKE UP DUDE, IT'S HALF TEN. *pokes repeatedly* Here to stalk you until finishing time, and see what else you're reading to wind down to Hour 24! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stopping by today to say congratulations on a great readathon yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read Harry Potter during the readathon too (my first Dewey readathon!), because I had fallen WOEFULLY behind on the HP readalong, but now I am caught up, SO I will finally be posting again tomorrow and I am BACK for Book #7.

    ReplyDelete