Sunday 4 February 2018

Sunday Sundries: Writing Prompts

Happy Sunday, everyone! This weekend I have been technically unemployed, so I of course spent Saturday doing basically nothing which was exactly what I needed. Today I'm taking my sister to the History of Magic exhibition at the British Library (you know, the Harry Potter one) and to get her first Doughnut Time doughnut, before starting new work tomorrow. Scary, but I'm also quite looking forward just to starting now? So yes, that. 

Today's Sunday Sundries has an actual theme today, can you imagine?! I have been going on all month (basically on here only) about how myself and Frances have been sending each other writing prompts, and as there have been many (one) calls for the prompts themselves, I'm going to give them to you, in all their glory. Do with them what you will- if you want a writing prompt a day for March, then feel free to use these, and if not then here are 31 random things that I have written about in the last month.

Note: I can't speak for Frances, but most if not all of my prompts (15 of them) came from 642 Things to Write, which I got from Waterstones like 2 Christmases ago and finally used!

1. Your hair, features and skin are gradually disappearing. What do you see when you look in the mirror?

2. You are looking down through the skylight as chefs prepare dinner for your ex-fiance's wedding.

3. A King stands in front of his court and demands that his own daughter be executed. What events lead to this point?

4. He hadn't seen her since the day they left high school.

5. There children are sitting on a log near a steam. One of them looks at the sky and says...

6. Pick a dictator and write about an imaginary morning or day of his life, focusing on the banalities (digestion, sleep, oral hygiene etc)

7. Tell a story about one of your parents.

8. The first time you had sex.

9. Write a meet cute.

10. Everyone was laughing, except you.

11. Work out your Tory name (your grandmother's first name, the first road you lived in, your first headteacher's surname) and write about the morning routine/thoughts etc of the Tory person you have just named.

12. It's 2100 and the world is running out of fresh water. Describe a typical day.

13. Write a fan fiction drabble about a celebrity crush of your choice.

14. Pick your most cherished political view and convincingly argue the other side.

15. School closed early that day, and the children came home crying.

16. Five things you wish you'd asked your grandmother or grandfather.

17. Who's dancing and why are they tapping their toes?

18. Your character is swimming in a lake, not wearing her glasses. She squints at a shape coming toward her in the water. What does she think she sees?

19. 'One last time', she whispered to herself.

20. You are a 13 year old. Write a letter to your boyfriend.

21. The face stared out at me; wide-eyed and hollow cheeked and instantly unforgettable.

22. Write 2 descriptions of yourself for an online dating service. First be the kind of girl who'd be taken home to meet the mother. Then try a hot, sexy version.

23. Write about a time you felt out of place, awkward and uncomfortable.

24. That time you peed your pants.

25. Invent your own superhero.

26. A strange girl who hides herself under layers and layers of clothing.

27. Write an anonymous letter to a stranger detailing the things you've learned about life.

28. Describe your home as if you are an alien who has never seen an earth home before.

29. They thought I'd forget. But I remembered. Everything. 

30. Write a short story in which you are a villain.

31. The moon was full and close and red. The moon was awake. The moon was hungry.

I found, as you may expect, that some of these worked for me better than others, and sometimes ones that I expected to work well for me didn't at all- or I just didn't have time to write as fully as I wanted to because of, you know, life. Overall though, just doing something creative with my time felt really good, and doing something every day really has normalised it to a point where I mostly think 'when am I going to write today?' which I really love. Frances and I have decided to do weekly prompts on Mondays this month, so we have more time to focus on writing some longer things, and I'll probably share those prompts with you in another Sunday Sundries post because I'm just that creative!

I hope you all have wonderful weeks, and let me know if you decide to try any of these writing prompts!

2 comments:

  1. History of Magic exhibition?! I'M SO JEALOUS!
    Whoa, some of these writing prompts are chilling. However, I'm more of a reader than a writer! :'(
    Is there an online forum where people submit their responses to these writing prompts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MAN, I love these prompts. I want to say I'm going to try them but considering how little I've gotten up to I won't lie to myself. But I am def bookmarking

    ReplyDelete