Sunday 30 June 2013

Sunday Sundries: I Have Been...

I'm feeling weirdly reflective today with it being the end of the month and all, and maaaaan, June was SO GOOD. I realised yesterday that this was the first week in about 5 that I hadn't been to London at all, and apparently all good things happen in London, or at least they did this month. Just so this post isn't just made up of general gushing about having done fun things, I'm going to give it a structure (wooo! Structure!) I've maybe done this 'I Have Been' thing once before, (twice? I don't know) but it's fun and saves me from thinking too much, which really is a blessing to us all.

I Have Been...

Writing:
I have written so many blog posts this last week it's been insane. And by 'so many', I mean about four, but these days it's kind of a big deal for me to really want to write about the stuff I've read, and to spend say an hour each day writing posts- normally I'm like 'UGH so much to write about' and then end up doing them all in a big rush on a Saturday. I like this new way a lot better.

Reading:
SO much. I've seriously read more in the last week than I probably have all month. And I've been way more into reading this month than I have been all YEAR. I would say it's because of the weather but that's clearly not true (it has been mostly AWFUL. But I did get in some quality reading time yesterday because there was SUN, glorious sun!) and, much as I hate to admit it, I'm going to have to say it's because of Harry Potter. In that... Do you even know how hard it is to read other stuff when you're in the middle of Harry Potter? It is VERY HARD.
But seriously. It's basically been GLORIOUS to read of late.

Listening:
It's been about 6 months now since I first saw Les Miserables, and I'm STILL listening to the soundtrack (10th Anniversary recording. It's basically the best.) because I'm very cool and don't have a problem with obsessions, at all. Nope. Not me. But let's just say I've listened to it so much that I could probably do a one woman show of Les Mis which would obviously be terrible and no one would want to see that. But yeah. I still could.

Watching:
I went to see The East with my friend Becci last night and it was REALLY good! I mean, I basically just wanted to see it because SKARSGARD (yep. Also it was actually our second choice of film because NOWHERE is showing Much Ado About Nothing, and WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHO JOSS WHEDON IS?!) but it turned out to be all interesting and moral-grey-area ish and naked Skarsgardy (yeah, it was still good on the Skarsgard front) and yes. I approve of it, so you're allowed to go and see it.

ALSO I've never watched Luther but it's back on BBC 2 on Tuesday and I'm definitely going to watch it because Idris Elba is in it and I love him now. ALSO I've been watching Les Revenauts (or, The Returned) on Sundays and I like it a lot, but more importantly it's in french and so watching it makes me feel all smart.

Looking:
For holiday ideas. Mostly in my brain, but I found this snazzy looking Youth Hostel in Stockholm and I want to go to there. Also yesterday my mum was like 'why don't you go to Australia for like a month?' (not in a mean way. Is there a mean way that can be?!) and I was like whuuuuut?! But also that does sound awesome. Kayleigh, I'm on my way!

Learning:
Shit, what have I been learning? I guess I've been learning that people on the internet are probably not serial killers and are actually EXCELLENT (seriously, have you met your internet friends yet? Why not?!) and just generally that going places and doing stuff is The Best. But I guess I already knew that.

OH also I've been trying to learn where places are in England, so now on my wardrobe door I have a map of the US (that I've had for like 4 years) AND one of England and its counties. This is connected because when I met Bex and Hanna we had this moment where we didn't know where Leeds was (in relation to, say, York) and I wanted to change that! Especially when I can name all 50 states and have a faaairly good idea where they are (mostly).

Feeling:
Preeeeetty awesome and just generally positive about things? Optimism would be my main feeling at the moment, which I don't expect to last much past, say, mid-September but it's good for now.

Anticipating:
More blogger meet-ups, the sun to stick around for more than one day so I can read Gone With the Wind (and, you know, everything) outside, going on the Harry Potter Studio Tour (it occurs to me that I haven't even mentioned this once!! I am going! In the school holidays, I believe- I should probably watch the films now?), the last season of Breaking Bad- August 11th is taking SO LONG to get here, I swear.

Wishing:
I don't know, isn't that Australia thing enough?! My general always-wish is to move out of my parents house, but to get to that point I have to do the whole looking-for-another-job thing that is actually my least favourite thing to do. Obviously I will be doing it intensively at some point (when, me?) but for now... It's summer, so really I'm just wishing for sunny days and lots of time to read. That's reasonable, right?!

Loving:
The very full fullness of the month just gone, and the possibility that July could be just as good. God, I love summer.
And YOU, of course. You're all awesome.

21 comments:

  1. Great post. nice idea to make a reflection post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I like it a lot, but more importantly it's in French and so watching it makes me feel all smart." *tiny girlie fist bump*
    Also that last GIF makes my heart hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading the telly is smart. It's a proven fact. ALSO in the first ad break they have french subtitles which is just nifty!

      That last gif makes my heart hurt too. And also if I look at it too long it makes my eyes a tiiiiny bit wet. Little Frances! :(

      Delete
  3. Aww, love this post to bits. I'm glad you had such a fabulous June :) Here's to a bitchin' July!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! And yesssss, I can only imagine that July's going to be better, why wouldn't it be?! :)

      Delete
  4. I am very glad to see the back of June, but I'm glad you had such an awesome month :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I hope your July (and, you know, forever!) is awesome to make up for your crappy June (and most of the rest of the year. I pay attention!) I have a good feeling about it!

      Delete
  5. Yes! For some reason I've been reading the most I have all year right now, despite the disgusting heat. Your month sounds so much better than mind and hopefully you'll have continue to have fun later this summer! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, it so hasn't been that hot here... apart from this weekend :). But yeah, for some reason I always read more in the summer- I think it's something to do with just wanting to sit outside, and you can't really take out a computer or the TV and you need to do SOMETHING so you just read! Well, that's what I do, anyway :)

      And, aw, I'm sorry your month hasn't been so good- I hope your summer gets better, in that case!

      Delete
  6. Yesssssss! *starts fluffing the pillows in the spare room and staring at the door expectantly*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haaaaaaa, you're so going to regret this comment! *packs suitcase, heads to Heathrow* I definitely want to visit you, but it has to be a time when you're all free to drive me to Uluru and stuff!! But it will happen in life. I'm excited already!

      Delete
    2. Lady, I will make the time. Plus there are so many things I haven't seen that it'd be good for me to take the time to see my own country.

      Delete
  7. Wooooo reading and writing all the things!!!

    It is BULLSHIT that Much Ado About Nothing is hardly playing anywhere. Only one theater out of like a dozen is playing it around here and it was all times that sucked and I think the last day for it is Tuesday, so I'm probably going to have to wait for the DVD. Not cool, how they're treating Whedon like that.

    I will be so envious if you and Kayleigh get to just live it up in Australia, but that would be awesome and you should do that!

    Ok I'm going to go try to get my hands on the Les Mis soundtrack now. Have a good weeeeek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LITERALLY the only cinemas showing Much Ado round here are really really tiny and in Central London, which involves spending like an extra £10 to get there and back. It is SO STUPID. My friend and I were actually going to try and see it on Saturday, and then it was showing every day apart from that and ARGH. So annoying because I bet it's great.

      YOU COULD COME TOO! OMG mass blogger meet up in Aus. Can you even imagine?! That would be amazing.

      DO YOU HAVE DROPBOX? Because that's how I got it (from Alley) and I could totally share it with youuuu. It costs some CRAZY money on amazon and stuff (well, it does on the uk one, anyway.)

      Delete
  8. I also could probably do a one woman show of Les Mis based on the 10th anniversary recording.

    OMG you should totally go to Australia for a month. That would be awesome. DO IT!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we should do competing one woman shows (on Broadway and in the West End, natch) and see who does it better? They could make a film about our epic rivalry! Shit, that would be amazing.

      ALLEY but if I go to Australia for a month, I'll be so far away from you!! Hahahahaha. But it would clearly be SO AWESOME. Also watch out or she'll be suggesting I come and stay with you for a month next! (I would so do that. We could commute together and then I could wander round NYC alllll day all the time while you actually worked like a proper person. Ah, dreams.)

      Delete
    2. Haha we'd meet at the subway when I'm done with work. You'd be all excited with all your NYC adventures and I'd be all 'Damn people, walk faster I'm trying to get home" while I fantasize about smacking people's smartphones out of their hands. (I'm a really chipper commuter, is what I'm saying.)

      Delete
    3. NO ONE EVER WALKS FAST ENOUGH AROUND PUBLIC TRANSPORT.

      Delete
  9. The Les Mis soundtrack is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Much Ado About Nothing (like gushing for a week about it loved it), but I did have to go to the arts cinema to see it, nothing doing at the multiplexes. Which is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete