Tuesday 30 August 2011

Top Ten Tuesday

So, this weeks top ten, I'm assuming, relates to books that are going to be newly released this autumn (I'm sorry, I can't say fall. I just can't do it.) and I'm excited to read. Since I basically never read new books (autobiographies sometimes excepted, I'm looking at you Rob Lowe), I'm going to use this opportunity to tell you about the books that I have that I plan to read this autumn, preferably next to a nice warm fire, or in a pleasantly cool park with lots of trees that I can watch the leaves fall (the only way fall should be used, seriously!) as I read. So...


Top Ten Books that are on my TBR List for autumn


1. All of Orwell- I have a wicked fun plan for October that involves reading all the Orwell books I have (6 fiction, 3 non-fiction, and 1 collection of essays) for something that I have been calling Orwell October in my head since about May (I did also toy with the idea of Shakespeare September... but maybe I'll be brave enough to do that next year...). Clearly we're all very excited by this prospect, yes?

2. Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates- I got this for my birthday in April and I really want to read it, but just haven't yet. I started it on Sunday night and I already love it- it might end up being an end of summer rather than an autumn read at this rate though!

3. The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing- For a very particular and special reason, more about which will be revealed on Thursday...

4. The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood- I've still only read The Handmaid's Tale by the marvellous Atwood, and this clearly needs to change. I've got my sights set on The Blind Assassin, and I'll be damned if I let anything get in the way of reading it this autumn. If, however, you think I should read either Alias Grace, or Oryx and Crake instead, speak now or forever hold your peace... or you know, let me read a book that isn't as good as either of them may be...

5. The Winter of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck- I've read this before but I can't really remember it, just that it was pretty amazing. I also picked it for this list because it has a season in the title, albeit the wrong season... yeah, I don't really know where I was going with that, so you should probably just ignore this one. Although I am probably going to read it!

6. A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson- I have about 5 or 6 Bryson books and so far I've read only one (Shakespeare, which was really good!) which I should probably change or, you know, get rid of the books if I'm not going to read them! I've decided on this one because I think (think) it's kind of related to Walden which, I'm sorry I've tried, but I really can't get through. This seems like a good compromise/a cop out...

7. Life by Keith Richards- This is on loan from my dad, and I really need to read it sometime soon (not because he wants it back, just because I think it's going to be awesome!) I've looked at the pictures already, and there's one of Johnny Depp, so things are looking good on that front... (I'm kidding! Mostly. But Johnny Depp pictures in a book=not at all a bad thing. Just sayin')

8. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon- Another re-read, but this one I really want to review so that I can inspire people to go and read this book because I do love it desperately! Also because the last time I read it was in an afternoon, and I'm not sure I appreciated all its nuances fully enough. But mainly just because it rocks.

9. White Teeth, or possibly On Beauty by Zadie Smith- Because I have had these books for so long that I really need to read one of them before they just never get read ever. This may be a tad dramatic. But I still want to read one of them!

And, one book that is being released this autumn:


10. The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides- Eugenides irritated me with The Virgin Suicides, then wholly redeemed himself with Middlesex (I mean, really really redeemed himself) so I'm quite excited to read The Marriage Plot when it's released. That will make 3 Eugenides books in one year, which might well make this the year of Eugenides. But we'll see...

So these are my top ten books to read this autumn. Sorry if you wanted to see new releases, but that's what I read everyone else's blogs for- inspiration for new books that I can read in about 3 years time! That doesn't count as using you, right?

16 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read more Margaret Atwood myself, like you I've only read the Handmaid's Tale and am eager for more! I've got The Blind Assassin in my bookshelf but I think I might give Oryx and Crake first, not for any reason other than it sounds really interesting and the size of The Blind Assassin is a little daunting!

    Also, looking forward to your review of The Curious Incident of A Dog in the Night-Time (when it comes). Such an amazing book, I should probably reread it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IF I wasn't such a goner for YA (since I teach this age group) I think I would be adding some of your books to my reading shelf too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime is awesome and it's one of my all-time favorites. fantastic list :)

    i hope you can stop by and check out my top ten list this week.

    -michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are bold and I respect that. No new books. If only I could be so strong!

    It was easy to put together my Top Ten list this week,Top Ten Books That Are at the Top of My TBR for Fall! And tomorrow is the last day to sign up for the Readerbuzz August Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'd like to add all of Orwell to my list as well! I have only read the two - 1984 and Animal Farm and they are, of course, amazing. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time is a really great book.
    By the way, Shakespeare September is a really great idea.. If only I'd thought of it first. ;)
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Almost all books are new to me. Isn't Doris Lessing a Nobel laureate?
    See My Top 10 Here

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Marriage Plot is on my TBR list too! Enjoy Blonde--it is AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great list :) My top ten ( here) is also not new releases on the whole.

    PS - Love the blog - new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, can't wait to see the reason for reading Lessing -- TGN is one of my all-time favs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A new top 10 where 99 percent of the books i have not seen on anyone else list great!! do hope you get to take some of them off your list.
    http://sidnebkclubreviewz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your list. I want to read Blonde and I’ve been meaning to read something by Atwood for ages now. Still haven’t read anything by Eugenides but I think I’ll start with Middlesex.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice list! I am also looking forward to The Marriage Plot. Of the ones I have read on your list, I very much enjoyed The Curious Incident and On Beauty. Both highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 10 Orwell books in 1 month sounds wicked crazy... and wicked fun! I really need to try to squeeze a Stienbeck book in before the end of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've only read 2 Atwood novels (we own about 7) and I always mean to read more of them, particularly Alias Grace and The Blind Assassin! I really do need to get around to that and soon. I am also looking forward to The Marriage Plot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am so excited about The Marriage Plot. I loved White Teeth, but more so the second time I read it. All of Orwell sounds like quite a project.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. Such a fantastic read. I recently bought myself another copy of it, so I think I'm going to have to reread it as well so I can write a decent review on it! Everyone should read this.

    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete