Tuesday 1 November 2011

October Wrap-Up/Rest of the Year Planning

I can't really be bothered to do Top Ten Tuesday this week (out of laziness more than anything else) so I feel like this is a good time to conclude some things and start off some others, and generally just get myself organised in a book-sort-of-way. This might be a horribly boring post, so feel free to skip it if you like- it's just a way for me to get my brain thoughts straightened out in some kind of sensible way. Like that's actually possible...

So, I read and reviewed so much shizzle in October that I actually had to make a proper schedule and everything so I didn't miss anything out. Which was cool, or actually not at all cool, and really a little bit lame. But useful, anyway. SO, I read everything George Orwell wrote ever (sort of) which, on reflection, was a bit of a mistake to do all in one go, and I probably won't be doing that with one author again, because I just ended up resenting it, really. But anyway, to see allllll those reviews, you can go to my Orwell October Master Page and have a little peek around.

Of course, October wasn't just about Orwell, it was also about being really really scared, and participating in my very first readathon! October saw the conclusion of the RIP Challenge, for which I read 5 books in the end:

Different Seasons by Stephen King
Christine by Stephen King
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Dracula by Bram Stoker
Pet Semetary by Stephen King

Which was one more than I was even supposed to, but hey, I like to overachieve! With reading anyway.

Enough with the past, now onto the future! Most excitingly for me this November is going to be taking part in Alice from Reading Rambo's readalong of The Help, because 1) She's fantabulous and her blog is hilarious, and 2) I really want to read The Help! If you haven't read it yet, I recommend going over to Alice's blog and signing up, because I think it's going to be a lot of fun! I'm also signed up to read Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad for Allie's readalong on A Literary Odyssey, basically because it's a book that I own and haven't read, so why not?!

Other than that, I'm basically going to read whatever the hell I feel like for the rest of November, while also trying to carry on with the GLBT reading challenge (only 2 months left for that!) and the Books to Movies Challenge (details of both can be found here). But, you know, I'm not too competitive, especially when I'm competing with myself, so really, I'm going to read what I feel like. Which is as it should be.

I feel like other people manage to do this kind of thing a lot more succinctly, so that was probably really boring for you. Sorry. I'll try to be more entertaining for the whole rest of the month to make up for it!

5 comments:

  1. I was totally sucking at the GLBT challenge, but I'm trying to step it up a bit now. More Emma Donoghue! More!

    And aww, yay, at least one person who's signed up is participating. I started reading today and it seems not-bad. Which, y'know, that's just excellent, because I don't want us all to be stuck with a terrible book for November.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's definitely good because I would clearly blame you if it was bad. ;) Everyone else seems to like it anyway, and we're normal(ish) human beings so we should like it too! (Worst logic ever there...)

    Also, yay GLBT books! Read Stir Fry by Emma Donoghue, because it's good and also they talk all Irishly which is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I haven't done that one yet. Just Slammerkin and Landing. And Kissing the Witch. I WILL READ THEM ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed with just how much reading you can get done in a month. And how many challenges you sign up for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Reading Rambo- you mean you haven't read Room yet?! Missing. Out.

    @Red- I am an extremely impressive person! But, more importantly, I'm an extremely impressive unemployed person, and so HAVE NOTHING ELSE IN MY LIFE BUT READING. Well, not quite that. But it means I can read A LOT.

    ReplyDelete