Tuesday 20 September 2011

Top Ten Tuesday

Howdy book bloggers and hoppers and all sorts of things like that! Welcome to the now award winning, I believe, meme that remains my favourite of all in the realm, Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by the awesome The Broke and the Bookish. This week, I'm digging into my deepest psyche to reveal the books that make me feel left behind, part of the 'out' crowd, and just generally uncool. So, without any ado at all, here are the:


Top Ten books I feel like everyone has read except me


1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins- I know for a fact that everyone has read this except me, because when I posted it as part of my IMM/Malibox Monday one week, everyone had an opinion on it. And when I say everyone, I mean everyone, and when I say opinion, it mainly centred around the cover that I used in my post to illustrate the book. People are strange.

2. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer- But I'm actually ok with this one. I like my vampires tall, blonde, and burn-y, not sparkly, in the sunlight. And also, not shit. (It's definitely unfair for me to be calling Twilight shit without having read it. But I know enough about it to make that kind of statement. I think.)

3. A Visit From The Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan- When I say everyone's read this, what I really mean is 'everyone whose blogs I read and who I love' has read this, and therefore I must too! Luckily, I have it from the library, now I just actually have to read it. But, you know, one step at a time, yeah?

4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Series by Steig Larsson- It feels like everyone and their mother has read this series of books, which I think is probably down to all the buzz around the movies (Swedish and American) rather than to do with the actual greatness of the books themselves. Nonetheless, like the poor damned sheep I am, I still want to read them and be like everyone else! Also because Frances said they're awesome and she's usually right about stuff like that. ALSO, because they're Swedish, and nothing bad ever came from Sweden.

5. Bumped by Megan McCafferty- I'm not especially bothered about reading Bumped (although I did read a review of it for the first time the other day and it did actually sound pretty interesting) but every blog I read seems to have reviewed it at some point this year. It's actually a bit got to the stage where I'm like 'If I see that damn egg cover one more time...'

6. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins- Ditto Bumped.

7. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender- I've seen quite a few reviews of this just lately, plus it's part of some tv book club thing here in the UK, therefore I feel like everyone's read it already except me. Luckily I got it out of the library, ostensibly because I really really like the title! So hopefully I can fit in with everyone soon enough on this one.

8. The Help by Kathryn Stockett- You know you've read this already. Don't lie to me. At this point, I feel like reading it will show me to be so far behind the times that it'll almost be too embarrassing- regardless I'm going to read it anyway, because I've already bought it, and who cares if I'm late with it?

9. The Life of Pi by Yann Martel- I'm even further behind on this one, I realise. And I know everyone's read it because it won some kind of prize, and you're all laughing at me because 1) I haven't read it, and 2) I don't know what prize it won. I can hear you, so just be quiet!

10. The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides- I have seen like two reviews of this on blogs, and it hasn't even been released yet, but in my heightened sense of wanting this book, I feel like everyone's read it, and it has really been released, and I'm just not allowed to have it, and everything's just so unfair! Hold me someone. Hold me close.

So these are the books that give me an inferiority complex. Any there that I should read rightnowthisverysecond? Any I should completely avoid? Tell me the things I need to know and make me feel popular peoples!

17 comments:

  1. Lemon is a book with mixed reviews. I liked it and I'm glad I read it.

    My post is Top Ten Books I Feel As Though Everyone Has Read But Me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had The Life of Pi forever but have not gotten around to reading it either...one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was not taken with The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, but I highly recommend The Help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot about The Life of Pi! That's def one I haven't read but it seems everyone else has gotten around to it. I actually have read the Twilight series (feel free to point and laugh) and while I don't recommend that, if you want to be more informed about how lame it is and still have a good time, might I recommend Alex reads Twilight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L253VLwH3w

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake... it was a weird read, and not in a pleasant way.

    Okay I read the first Twilight book and... it's not that bad. I probably won't go on to read the others, but honestly the movies kind of ruined the books for everyone by making it seem lamer and more angsty then it really is. I completely understand your desire to stay away from it though, I only read it because my sister finally agreed to read a book that I love, so I owed her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Anna but it's not for everyone. I read Bumped but I was underwhelmed by it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's totally ok that you called Twilight shit without reading it because I did read it, and I can vouch for the fact that it is complete shit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Guys! Don't say The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake is bad, it has such a nice title!

    @Lola- thanks for that assurance. I needed that. :)

    @Red- I'm definitely going to watch Alex reads Twilight in a bit, but I also saw this youtube thing where someone said that Bella may as well just be a lego brick for all the personality she's got, which made me giggle a bit- if I find it again, I might post it/tweet it to you for the lols!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list of books. You aren't missing out on Twilight. Now, Hunger Games is pretty awesome. I;ve wanted to read Particular Sadness for sometime now but just haven't gotten around to it. I finished Anna and The French Kiss on Sunday, it was so sweet and charming

    -Lacey
    text My Top @ Owl Love You Books

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely read The Hunger Games! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're definitely not missing out on much by not reading Twilight! The Hunger Games is great, though, you should definitely pick it up at some point!

    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha, I think this is the first of these lists I've come across where I've actually read something on it!

    You're not missing much by not reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series - I thought they were really over-rated.

    I haven't seen the Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake much at all on the blogs though; I've only ever seen it in Waterstones. I do want to read it but I don't feel left out yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Lacey, Alexa and Amber- I'm on it with The Hunger Games- have the first book already, just have to actually read it and stuff!

    @Hanna- I've heard good things about The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, but I guess there is a point where things can only be overrated- I still do want to read them just to see though, because, like I said, they're Swedish and I do love Swedish things!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know what you mean by The Help. It seems like people are always asking me if I've read this when I mention that I'm a reader.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've read the first five on your list, and I would read The Hunger Games if I had to pick one. I was disappointed by Bumped because I adore the Jessica Darling series.

    What is funny about these lists is how much they all have in common. So who has read these books if none of us have?

    Come check out my list at The Scarlet Letter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maybe you can read Twilight to be able to criticize it better! It's not like you're missing out on a lot, if you haven't read it. You should definitely read Life of Pi though, that book is pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Life of Pi could have made my list too. One my daughters friends-that-is-a-boy has it listed as his favorite of all time...makes me def want a look!

    ReplyDelete