Wednesday 22 August 2012

The Moonstone Part 3

OH MY GOD, the end of this section!! Rachel SAW Franklin doing it, but he has no memory of it?! I'm thinking secret twins or doppelgangers or intense plastic surgery... You know, all the normal things. And also, I've been doing this a lot, of course:

Just to back up a teeny bit though, I've come to the reluctant conclusion that Rosanna might ACTUALLY be dead, and, well, I'm pretty sad about it, actually. It seems to me that Rosanna is The Moonstone's Anne Catherick (or Anne is The Woman in White's Rosanna... Which was published first again?) in that their deaths came with little fanfare and no one was that bothered about them. Still, Rosanna had Betteredge to cry for her, and Anne had her companion lady, so... There's that at least. But also I CAN'T BELIEVE SHE'S ACTUALLY DEAD! What the hell, Wilkie? I did so love her little unrequited love thing for Franklin though, and also the fact that Penelope was right about this as she has seemed to be about everything. Could PENELOPE be the secret mastermind behind everything? I think yes.

And now to go back even further, how awesome was the rest of Clack's section? Last week, Alice and I decided that Clack kissing Godfrey's hand was her first and only sexual experience, and I think in this part she had her second:
"I have an indistinct remembrance that he was very affectionate. I don't think he put his arm around my waist to support me- but I am not sure. I was quite helpless, and his ways with ladies were very endearing."
I mean, OBViously Clack is desperately in love with him, but did anyone else pick up on the bit where she said that she forgives him and still loves him or whatever it was? Is he dead, or does he have a secret Franklin mask, and so took the moonstone? (I don't really think he took it. BUT I JUST DON'T KNOW!)

I think Clack's fall from grace was perfect though, because as it turns out, telling your patroness that you tried to stress her mother out just before she died? Probably not the best idea. Sad as I am to see her go, she did leave us with some more wonderful wonderful things to remember her by, so we all know that she's very very ill-used and underappreciated. And also a terrible person: "In those words the invitation was given, and the glorious prospect of interference was opened before me."

I don't really have much to say about the lawyer section, other than that I like him because he dislikes Godfrey (and I feel exactly the same way about Mr Murthwaite now) but also, how lowwww is Godfrey?! 'Oh please marry me dear Rachel because I need all your money' but hey, nice work Lady V in making sure no evil man could take all her money. I think that's what happened, right? Oh yeah, and there was also the thing with the Indians, which excites me not all that much because they clearly didn't take it, and clearly still want it, and frankly I think they should have it because it really belongs to them, so... Yeah.

But anyway. What do we think about Franklin?! If he did it then he's clearly hiding it, even from himself, and definitely from the reader. I enjoy the fact that Betteredge got to be a detective again, and frankly, if he's the one to solve the whole thing, I'd be really happy. Is Rachel maybe lying about seeing Franklin because she actually took it? I don't think she is, because all her actions suggest that that's what she really believes. So maybe she was just dreaming? I JUST DON'T KNOW. I'm like this:


And also, I am DYING to find out. I'm so happy that this week's is the last section (except, only one more readalong week, SADFACE) because I need to know or I am going to EXPLODE. Not even an exaggeration.

23 comments:

  1. I'm definitely loving the Franklin as an unreliable narrator. He is so clueless.

    And HOW could I forget about the last scene in Miss Clack's narrative? I love that she's all, "Oh, the poor dear. Let me comfort her by mentioning that her mother is BURNING IN HELL." She really is a psycho.

    I can't believe we're almost done with the book! What shall we readalong next?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is SO clueless! Like when Lucy's all like 'I just don't know what she saw in you' etc, and he doesn't get anything from that, but then he reads Rosanna's letter and goes 'she was in love with me? I had no idea' and I'm like LESBIAN LUCY JUST TOLD YOU, GET WITH IT!

      Oh Clack. She will never learn. But she does deserve her own spinoff, 'The Martyred adventures of Miss Clack'.

      MORE READALONGS! I sayeth The Grapes of Wrath in October. Only I suspect it will be less fun cause... well, it's an awesome book, but not so much with the fun. SO I think Alice is going to have to host another in November *looks down expectantly at Alice's little picture*

      Delete
    2. Omg. Lesbian Lucy. YES.

      GRAPES OF WRATH IN OCTOBER WILL BE AMAAAAZING

      Also, November. Hm. We'll see. If I have auditions, I will be in constant panic mode and might not be able to host anything. But DEFINITELY by January.

      Delete
    3. THERE WILL BE GRAPES! AND ALSO WRATH! But will we be able to be funny? I JUST DON'T KNOW!

      Also, awww- if you have auditions we will not expect the hostage. Hmm, hostage... I guess I mean host-age? Hosting duties, then! JANUARY YES. I got so excited, I just forgot how to spell January. Whoops!

      Delete
    4. Hmm... I have not-so-fond memories of reading The Grapes of Wrath for a summer reading assignment in high school. I will need to ponder this.

      HOW can anything compare after The Moonstone?? I may need to give up on books.








      jk jk

      Delete
    5. Grapes of Wrath will be EPIC.

      Delete
    6. GRAPES OF WRATH. I will readalong with this. This will be excellent. I only know the Veggie Tale grapes, so I'm looking forward to picking apart what the minute differences must be.

      Delete
  2. LINK UP YOUR POST

    I don't even check Google Reader on readalong days, dude. I just keep checking the Linky, 'cause those are basically ALL the blogs I want to read.

    So I was looking through your post comments from last week, and then I scrolled up and noticed you TOTALLY CALLED OUT EZRA JENNINGS, so good job on that. Because something is FISHY there.

    Miss Clack had a THIRD sexual experience, that I think two people at least have quoted so far. Whatever, they all revolve around Godfrey and his hands. Oh, Miss Clack.

    WHAT WILL WE DO WHEN NEXT WEEK COMES ALONG. *clings to readalong camp buddies*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WILL, YORKSHIRE INTERNET IS DODGY, ALSO I HAVE BEEN IN A CAR FOR 5 HOURS!

      I did call out Ezra! He has a narrative soon, so what's his deal?! Also the thing with the dog hasn't come up again yet, so... WHO KNOWS WHAT'S GOING ON?!

      Yeah, I read the sexy hand thing on Megs' post (the only one I've read thus far) and I feel like I missed it! Or maybe I was just so tickled by the first one that I didn't need anything else from their interactions. Whatevs.

      I WILL FEEL BEREFT AFTER NEXT WEEK!!!

      Delete
    2. "Miss Clack had a THIRD sexual experience...they all revolve around Godfrey and his hands."
      Sounds SO much more scandalous than it actually is.

      Delete
    3. beREFT! *Rends garments in anticipation of sads*

      Delete
  3. I just read this a couple of months ago and I really wish I'd waited so I could have joined in with your readalong! Your post is brilliant and The Moonstone is such fun to read.

    I also thought secret twins or lookalikes when I read this bit - I won't tell you if you're right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, you should have! But there is always another readalong :D

      SO GLAD you didn't confirm or deny. I... Don't think it can be, but then I've read The Woman in White so I know that, at this point, basically anything is possible! Shit gets crazy when you're reading the Wilkster!

      Delete
  4. I hope Godfrey had a Franklin mask or something. I need Wilkie to pull out something amazing because I am all the disappointed that Rosanna is actually dead and gone.

    Good job to Lady V for realizing that Rachel's money needs to be protected from scoundrels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO disappointed that Rosanna's dead. AND THAT NO ONE HAS COMMENTED ON MY ANNE CATHERICK-ROSANNA THEORY!

      *high fives Lady V. And you. But not Godfrey.*

      Delete
    2. THAT WASN'T A THEORY IT WAS AN OBSERVATION BUT YES IT WAS A GOOD OBSERVATION

      Delete
    3. I CONCUR THAT IT WAS OBSERVATION NOT THEORY BUT A GOOD ONE AND I ALSO WANT TO SHOUT. LOUD NOISES, LOUD NOISES

      Delete
    4. Observation. Yes. That's what I said. Ahem.

      SHUT UP I HAVE A LOT OF THEORIES AND I GOT CONFUSED. I'M VERY CONFUSED!

      Delete
  5. Nope. Rosanna's not dead. Nope. Not buying it. Not buying her inexplicable mad love for Franklin, either. NOPE.

    Penelope! Good point, she knows too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penelope's been being weird this WHOLE time, and she keeps being mentioned by the narrators in sly, sidelong glance type of ways. So SOMETHING IS UP.

      Delete
  6. I need to know what's happening!!! My brain is so confused.

    If Franklin really IS the theief and just wrote that whole long ass narrative to throw us off... what a jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Someone should really do a study on what GIFs say about the people who use them. For instance, if I didn't already know you, I would have learned from this post that you love Johnny Depp and the Skars and True Blood. REAL INFORMATION. FROM GIFS!

    Your Rosanna/Anne Catherick observation is SUPERB. I wonder how Wilkie felt about those two characters...because he kind of treated them both like poo.

    I love Bruff too! Bruff solidarity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is SO true, cause who saves gifs of things they don't like? No one, that's who!

      Hmm... Hmm... I dunno. Maybe they represented his least favourite wife, and Rachel and Marian are like his favourite wife... Or something!

      Bruff forevs! Favourite Wilkie lawyer :)

      Delete