Sunday 24 April 2011

In My Mailbox/Mailbox Monday

I wasn't going to take part in these blog hops this week because I hadn't gotten any new books and, really, who wants to read someone going "yeah, I didn't get any new books *sigh*" etc? BUT then my sister came through for me and bought me something for easter that she knew I would appreciate very very much...

Sweet Valley Confidential by Francine Pascal!!! YES! I have probably mentioned this before but I was a complete Sweet Valley nerd when I was about 10 (until... well, I sort of haven't yet grown out of it!) probably because I was vicariously living through them, and imagining a high school experience that was significantly cooler than my own. I also spent hours pondering how awesome it would be to have a twin, who could protect me from my older sister's tortures! But anyway... I don't know if you've heard about this book, but it's basically set 10 years after the end of the Sweet Valley High series (ignoring those senior year books that I was so incredibly excited about when they came out, and also those 2 years of Sweet Valley University books that I read, were there any more?) and shit has gone down and it's all pretty freaking awesome and exciting! I've already read a significant portion of it today, and I can't even tell you how many times Jessica and Elizabeth's beauty has been emphasised, or how terrible the writing really is- and yet I still love love love them all, because they are a really important part of my reading history! So I am at the extremes of excitement to finish this and discuss it with all of you right here! When you promptly unfollow me because such a low level of literature is not exactly what you've come to expect from me... and yet I will still be loving SVH forever!

This is clearly my most exciting mailbox ever! I'm sure you'll all agree... How about you? Any Sweet Valley devotees out there who have read this yet? Tell me all about it in the comments!

IMM is hosted by The Story Siren, every Sunday.
Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. It is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came into their houses last week. You can view the touring blog list at the Mailbox Monday blog for upcoming months.

14 comments:

  1. I actually never read this series. I'm really happy for you since it's come full circle and seeing what has happened to your fave characters.
    Have to say the girls look gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of this series, but haven't yet read it.

    Enjoy!

    Here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Sweet Valley High when I was a kid. I also used to read Sweet Valley Twins (when Elizabeth and Jessica were in Jr. High). I think I'll have to read this just for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so curious about this book. I was a huge SVT and SVH fan. I've heard good and bad things about this.
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I listened to this audiobook, and though I hadn't read the books as a kid, my thoughts are similar. I would think that a fan would feel exactly like you did, but some have been very critical. I would think it would be fun even if it's bad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun. :) I used to absolutely LOVE the Sweet Valley books. Probably still would if I had any to read... hmmm... time for a walk down memory lane, and to the used book store to pick a few up I think.

    Here's my Mailbox! ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still undecided whether I want to read this or not.

    Happy reading,
    Jules

    http://thegreatthegoodandthebad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too have never read this though I have seen it around so much. Enjoy your read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never read any Sweet Valley books, but I sure do hope you enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you got a book that you'll enjoy so much. I remember those Sweet Valley books and who doesn't wish they knew what happened later? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never read this series, it sounds like an enjoyable read.

    Come by and see mine and my giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never read any of this series but I think revisiting a series you loved so many years ago with where the characters are years later is a neat idea!

    ReplyDelete