This week's top ten is characters I'd name my children after. Most of the names I've picked aren't actually names that I think are that great, but since I love the characters so damn much, I'd totally create namesakes for them. Now I just have to find someone to have 10 children with...
Top Ten Characters I'd Name My Children After
1. Atticus Finch, from To Kill A Mockingbird- Come on. Obviously I would name my child Atticus because he is, in a nutshell, the beacon of all goodness and moral sense and wonderful things in the world. And I would also have his children, in case anybody wanted to know that!
2. Daria Morgendorffer, from Daria- I can't even express how much I love and admire Daria, and how much of a role model she is for my entire life (which is probably not a good thing. But oh well!) She also happens to have a pretty awesome name that I would be happy to bestow upon any child of mine!
3. Tyler Durden, from Fight Club- Tyler is also an essentially good role model, although in word rather than deed (blowing things up= not cool). I also just genuinely like the name!
4. Princess Jasmine, from Aladdin- Not necessarily a role model (although she does start out as a princess rather than marrying a man to become one, and is pretty independent for a disney woman) but I do adore the name Jasmine. Although, only if it's spelt the way I have spelt it, and not any other crazy variation (Jazmin? Really?). Apologies if your name is spelt a silly way!
5. Briony Tallis, from Atonement by Ian McEwan- This is a tough one because I love the name but pretty much hate the character. I guess I'd just have to tell my daughter she was named after something else, rather than her believing I hated her forever!
6. Lolita, from Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov- Just for the name, believe me! It is so beautiful, but does have such bad connotations... I'd still go with it though!
7. Heathcliff, from Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte- Such an exotic and romantic name- and I do continue to love Heathcliff in spite of all the bad things he does! Heath Ledger (*wail*) was also named after him, so it's kind of special in that way too (his sister is called Cathy too, which disturbs me just a tiny bit- did their parents want them to have a tragic romance?!)
8. Holly Golightly, from Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote- Yes, she's more or less a glorified prostitute, and she's kind of a bitch. Nonetheless, I still love her (especially when she's Audrey Hepburn), and I have always loved the name Holly (it was going to be my name, until my mum gave it away to her pregnant sister. Who didn't even use it. Yes, I'm still bitter!)
9. Tom Joad, from The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck- Not the most interesting name in the world, but it's a good solid one, and Tom Joad is pretty special. Also, he's pretty much a communist, which is just spectacular if you ask me. And there's this:
"Whenever they's a fight so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Whenever they's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there . . . . I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad an'-I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry an' they know supper's ready. An' when our folks eat the stuff they raise an' live in the houses they build-why, I'll be there."10. Hester Prynne, from The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne- Because she is brilliant, brave and a really quite early feminist. Possibly even better would be calling my child Pearl, because she is a wonderful little nature baby, but Hester is by far a more interesting name. Even if it does remind me of a rabbit, for some strange reason.
So those are my ten. Do you have any characters you love so much you would name your children after them?